Sunday 12 February 2012

Meredith Monk

In year 1 at Dartington I tried watching performances of Meredith Monk on Youtube.  I just didn't get her, couldn't bear to watch her in fact.  I felt physical distress, sometimes, at the repetitions, the lack of text.  Gah!  Why were people suggesting I study her?

Now in year 3 I think I understand why.  I seem to have arrived at a similar place in my own observation, my own eureka moment, discovering that I really can explore voice as a somatic practice, a felt connected breath and body flow; an in the moment oneness.  I agree with her that when the judge appears in the head, presentness goes, is lost.  I have only just arrived at the idea of mixing and juxtaposing acoustic sonic forms with electronic interventions, collisions; the use of film, sound, objects, 'spore' or archaeological evidence.  My head is full of strategies, compositions, approaches.  I need to be a little systematic in bringing them to good use.

I'm excited that I have women to work/play/explore with who are confident in their own fields, that they are older women and that we all want something in common.  I've yet to see what we can create and now is time for me to focus on solo strategies.  In that regard I'm going to learn how to use Ableton Live.  I hope my product can be representative of my vision, but the vision gives me pleasure and is something to strive towards manifesting, even beyond completion of year 3.

Kim
x

No comments:

Post a Comment