Tuesday 14 February 2012

Developing Solo Compositional Strategy

Today I found myself pacing back and forth, stroking a metal handrail and hearing my boot heels make contact with the polished floor - the sensations, sounds, rhythms were interesting, so I did this back and forth maintaining a steady tempo with a pause at the end to turn and walk back the way I came.  Then, for variety and because I thought maybe I should sit and wait, I walked away to a chair but didn't sit, walked back to the railing and took up the pacing back and forth.  I could see the visual points on the rail which acted like bar lines on a stave - I changed my heel contact, I was composing - walking up and down whilst waiting for a tutorial.  I wanted to add voice, tone or text, but didn't as the building is open plan and I didn't want to work something out in a public place like that - but I kind of wish I'd dared.  No-one in the performance centre would have objected, but neither had I been given permission.  I wonder if I really needed to be given permission?

Happily I don't mind if gesture, text, vocal exercise or music motif arrives to my playground first.  I'm in a place to play with whatever, and see where it leads.  Vocally, I'm playing with range, timbre, style, genre, colour, placement, breath - onset - in an unbroken flow, just letting it evolve, change, grow and die through dynamic shifts whilst at the same time letting my body move change, disrupt, aid, accentuate, whatever.  Finally in year 3 I have begun to fully play, compose, devise, hear, see, smell, imagine things at one time, without the desire to label or separate out fields of activity or artistic expression.

I hope this experience continues. :-)

Kim
x

No comments:

Post a Comment