Monday 7 November 2011

Joining The Dots

Italian Lesson - Feedback

It was a lot of fun.  Our Italian teacher is a soprano.  She sang a little of Un Bel Di Vedremo in class.   She understands my interest in learning Italian and has been language coach to other singers.  She kept us laughing with her asides, presented us with grammar, engaged with us as individuals.  Got us speaking a little.  Great.

There were lovely people there, several of whom came from other countries and so they were learning Italian, having it explained to them in English, (which they all speak brilliantly).  I am a CELTA qualified EFL teacher and have been teaching English as a foreign language on and off for over 25 years.  I've learned some Spanish, Turkish and French so beginning to learn another language was a kind of home from home joy.  Listening to the teacher's pronunciation and intonation was fab. - like suddenly being bathed in sunlight on what was otherwise a chilly, damp, dull afternoon.

Meditation Class

This was also great.  Well planned and led, comfortable warm space, incense, music, women of a similar age to myself were there as well as younger women.  (No men attended, maybe that was because of the 6.00 p.m. start).  We focussed on breath, had guided meditation.  Things like that.  At the very end we were invited to take an Angel card.  I took one which had the word 'Expansion' on it with a picture of an Angel floating off in a hot air balloon.  Hm.

The class put me in touch with other aspects of myself.  During the 1980s - 90s I learned Re-evaluation Co-counselling, holistic massage, aromatherapy, sports injuries therapy and had my own professional practice for a while, taught Adult Continuing Education classes, ran personal growth and support groups.  Went and spent time at the Findhorn Foundation near Forres in Scotland.  I've been a Reiki master for about 10 years.

Attending the meditation class made me reconnect with those parts of myself which   had little opportunity for expression in the first half of my degree but through improvisation, authentic movement, somaesthetics and singing they are now all re-emerging and coming together.  Suddenly the circle of activity seems to be meeting itself coming back.  It's beginning to make sense to me.

I'll keep these activities going, try to get in a studio to do some more authentic movement work, (probably on my own), and get on with singing again.

Now that the dots of my life path are joining up, I need a 'can do' attitude and then must get on and do it - starting in the morning.

Kim
x

No comments:

Post a Comment