Friday 29 June 2012

A First Class Honours Degree

Yesterday I found out I have been awarded a First in Music Performance and Theatre Practices, literally by a whisker.  It's been a challenging journey but achieving a first is a huge comfort.  I hope the result might help me on the next excursion, a Masters degree at University of Sussex in Music and Sonic Media.  I hope I can find a way to develop as a performer and researcher, to create some interesting new pieces, this time focusing more particularly on older women's agenda.

Today I'll find out if I am awarded some graduate financial support to develop my own entrepreneurial activity.  I've formed a company which I've named 'Wholistic Voice Works' activities of which will include: 

  • POWOW workshops aimed at women who are complete beginners; 
  • POWOW workshops aimed at experienced women performers;
  • POW - Project Opera Workshops, welcoming any age or gender;
  • One to one singing, voice and performance lessons/support sessions;
  • a Performance company;

I might also consider publishing my dissertation,  through vanity publishing or otherwise.  I'll take some advice on that.

Part of my final performance, an improvisation inspired by bees, helped bring home to me the importance of finding a way to reduce my carbon footprint in performance as well as in life.  Improvisation, flowing as it does from present senses, needs to acknowledge our energetic and material connection to all things.  Wholistic Voice Works draws on my professional holistic health practice.  I trained professionally in the early 1990s and feel that reviving that professional practice will also nourish my performance work.  Holistic massage, aromatherapy and Reiki healing can once again form part of my working/living life.

It seems I could be busy.

So before I close, I want to celebrate with all of us who experienced a huge shift in environment, staffing, management and practicalities when we moved from Dartington College of Arts to the new University College Falmouth campus at Penryn.  Thanks to the support and teaching staff at UCF and to Platform at UCF and Hall for Cornwall once again for their support of the first POWOW workshops.  Thanks to my family and friends who helped me believe that I had something good going on when I felt I was deluding myself.  Thanks to my singing teachers over the past 8 years and to my Alexander teacher friend, Meditation teacher and college counsellors.  Thanks to the higher power I called on when I felt times were really tough.  With all of this help I've been able to enjoy a whole melding of music, singing, health and being.  How lucky am I?

Love

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment