Friday 18 May 2012

Preparing for Final Undergrad Performance

The time is fast approaching to do my CAP, Critical Arts Project, commonly known as the end  of year performance.

Third year has been by far the most personally satisfying, as I've had to find a way to progress through even more isolation than usual!!  This has proved to be a good thing, as I used to want to belong or be included or accepted and thought I couldn't make solo works or be a solo singer.  I'm still finding out how to make solo work but, now I know I'm heading to Brighton in the autumn to do a masters degree in music and sonic media, I can be content that I'll have more opportunity to create some works and perform them in public over the next 2 years.  Looked at my ageing face and grey hair I know a lot depends on my health and achieving the basics of the right place to live along with part time work that pays enough and leaves some spare time and energy for the masters.  Leaving my lovely house and garden is going to be tough!

The POWOW workshops which were part of my CEP project are still reaping benefits for me because, although I often notice there are no other older women with me studying on campus, I hear the voices of the women I've talked with who have been so supportive, interested and ready to engage with me.  I know or know of older women who are performing and teaching, some of them closer to home and some dotted around the globe.  That gives me a very good feeling.

Now I feel more ready to share my interest and heart in my final year performance.  The therapeutic effects of authentic movement, theatre improvisation and meditation practice are helping me be more centred in the approach to the performance and I hope I can achieve presence and heartfelt delivery of the pieces I've chosen to offer.

Here's the poster for the event which'll give you a flavour:-


I'll let you know how it goes!

Kim
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment