Friday 4 November 2011

Exploration of 'Body Out' with Bel Canto Trained Students at UCF

I don't know how many Bel Canto or classical voice trained students there are at UCF and I've no idea how many of them are interested in theatre improvisation, but it occurred to me that, in order to contextualize the activity with older women I really need to explore the same approach with younger people of any gender and also with people who come with the singing background and technique in place.

When I started out on my degree at Dartington College of Arts which later merged with University College Falmouth I called myself a classical singer and was upset that there was no focus or outlet for contemporary classical voice.  This POWOW project is for me such an activity and I find the whole philosophy of somaesthetics  and practice of authentic movement and improvisation for theatre and voice so exciting that I've decided to see if my interest is shared with the 1st and 2nd year UCF students of music, music theatre and theatre.

I am as passionate about this methodology being available to older women as I ever was and I see a future in exploring more of this work with older women at least across Cornwall and Devon, if not nationally, but right now I've some technical questions to find answers for and I haven't the energy, health, time or money to go to London to join in the Opera Erratica 'body opera' work, even if I was accepted.   I'm having a bit of a 'singer's block' if there is such a thing for anyone other than me but I know I need to sing technically a lot better before I can join in at that level.

If this invitation has no takers, I'll just have to go into a studio on my own and see what I can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment